Turkeys Arrive at Six Local Organizations, Thanks to Millman and Fairway Market
November 24, 2009
Brooklyn – Just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday, Assemblywoman Millman and Fairway Market partnered to deliver 40 frozen turkeys to six community organizations yesterday. “I would like to thank Fairway Market for helping me bring Thanksgiving cheer to these much-deserving community organizations,” said Millman. “This year, the need is greater than it has been for quite some time. I encourage those more fortunate citizens to think of their neighbors that might need a little assistance this year. My Brooklyn office is a collection site for a food and toiletries drive to benefit the Family Justice Center, which serves victims of domestic violence.” The following organizations received donated turkeys:
- The YWCA, located at 30 Third Avenue, which has been an integral part of the community since 1888, providing safe and affordable housing to women and offers programming for survivors of domestic violence, a child development center, breast cancer screening and education programs and leadership services for women and girls.
- The Raices Times Plaza Senior Center, located at 460 Atlantic Avenue, offers services to low-income seniors, including case assistance and a social adult day center.
- The Prospect Park YMCA, which has been serving the community for over 113 years. The YMCA offers 138 affordable housing units, eleven after-school programs that serve over 1,000 children daily and exercise and aquatic facilities.
- The HOPE Program of Brooklyn, located at One Smith Street, offers job readiness instruction, internships, computer training, GED classes, meals, clothes and emergency grants to people in need. Their job training program has been cited as a national model for its effectiveness.
- CHIPS, Christian Help in Park Slope, located at 200 4th Avenue, is a soup kitchen run by volunteers that feeds 70,000 meals annually to people in need and provides temporary shelter to 2,000 individuals a year.
- The Eileen C. Dugan Senior Center, located at 380 Court Street, provides senior citizens with a place to gather informally for a nutritious meal and social, recreational and educational activities.