Assemblywoman Annie Rabbitt (R, C, I – Greenwood Lake) is proud to be joining Goshen School District Teacher Kerry Rourke’s CARE program to send care packages to troops stationed overseas.
“Our troops protect our freedoms and allow us the opportunity to do everything we do: go to school and work, spend time with our loved ones and families. We can never say ‘thank you’ enough, and I am thrilled to be joining Mrs. Rourke’s CARE program and encourage anyone who can participate to drop off their donations at my office,” said the assemblywoman, who will be collecting donations at her office in Goshen.
The care packages will be sent to troops stationed overseas. Items most requested and of use to troops include:
- Protein power bars (with 20 grams of protein or higher)
- Baby wipes or hand sanitizers, skin lotions and creams, and q-tips
- Burt’s Bees lip balm (our troops report that Burt’s Bees brand is the only brand that doesn’t melt in desert temperatures)
- Stick waterproof sun block (not lotion or sprays and the higher the SPF, the better)
- Boxer shorts (Hanes brand, black or grey colors, preferred)
- Black crew socks (high enough to cover complete calf)
- Medicated foot and body powder
- Basic food items that will not melt, such as nuts, sunflower seeds, and jerky
- Powdered sports drink mixes, such as Gatorade single-serve packets
- Magazines and books
- Note cards and stationery
- Zip-lock bags
“I started this small project, CARE, to be able to help our men and women who are serving our country overseas who don't always receive cards, letters and items that might help them feel a little more at home and things that they cannot otherwise get overseas,” said Mrs. Rourke, who’s only children, Patrick and Ryan, currently serve in the Air Force and Marines, respectively.
Mrs. Rourke and her colleagues, Catherine Manuele and Trish Boles, have been sending packages at their own expense. Since November, they have sent about 14 boxes. They also have partnered with the Goshen Central School District, residents from the greater community, as well as Cub Scout and Girl Scout troops.
Donations can be dropped off at Assemblywoman Annie Rabbitt’s office located at 41 High Street in Goshen, NY 10924.