Assemblywoman Annie Rabbitt (R,C,I-Greenwood Lake) is encouraging all Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. customers to participate in upcoming public hearings regarding the company’s proposal to increase electric rates. Four hearings will be hosted by the New York State Public Service Commission in both counties to allow customers to have their voices heard.
“The cost of electricity is already too high for many. With another winter storm upon us, hearing that Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. wants to hike costs even further is very discouraging. I strongly encourage all customers to attend one of these hearings, to call, e-mail or write to the Commission with their concerns or to share your views with me so that I can better advocate for you,” said the assemblywoman.
According to the Commission in a January 5, 2011 filing, Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. proposed to raise electrical rates to help generate $59.4 million in revenue for the company. The purpose of the rate hike, according to the filing, is that the company needs to recover costs incurred for post-employment benefits, such as pensions, storm costs, increases in operating costs, lower forecasted sales, new infrastructure and increased property and other taxes.
The Commission is holding the four public hearings to help determine if they will grant, deny or modify any portion of the company’s rate hike proposal. For customers who cannot attend one of the four hearings, they also may submit their views to the Commission by March 28, 2011 in a variety of methods:
- To submit your comments in writing (non-electric), please write to: Honorable Jaclyn A. Brilling, Secretary, NYS Public Service Commission, Three Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York 12223-1350. To ensure your letter is properly processed and received, please reference your letter with “Case 10-E-0362 – Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. – Electric Rates.”
- To submit your comments by e-mail, please send your comments to: Honorable Jaclyn A. Brilling, Secretary, NYS Public Service Commission, by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org and please reference your e-mail with “Case 10-E-0362 – Orange & Rockland Utilities, Inc. – Electric Rates.”
- To submit your comments electronically (without e-mail), please visit the Commission’s website at www.dps.state.ny.us and fill out the “PSC Comment Form” under the “Consumer Assistance” file.
- To call the Commission with your comments, please dial 1-800-335-2120. This hotline is open 24 hours a day and allows in-state customers to leave their comments.
Customers interested in attending the public hearings should know their comments will be transcribed and made part of the official file regarding this case (along with all other comments submitted in writing, electronically or through the hotline). The public hearings will be held in two sessions in each county, according to the following schedule:
- Orange County Public Hearings: Thursday, February 17, 2011 in the Legislative Chamber of the County Office Building, 255 Main Street, Goshen, New York. The afternoon session will be held from 4 pm to 6 pm and the evening session will be held from 8 pm to 10 pm.
- Rockland County Public Hearings: Thursday, February 10, 2011 at the Ramapo Town Hall, 237 Route 59, Suffern, New York. The afternoon session will be held from 4 pm to 6 pm and the evening session will be held from 8 pm to 10 pm.
As always, the assemblywoman is encouraging customers to also contact her Goshen Office for any further assistance or to share their views. You can e-mail the assemblywoman at email@example.com or write to her office at 41 High Street, Goshen, New York 10924. Customers also can call her office at 845-291-3631 or share their views with her directly on Facebook.