Assemblywoman Annie Rabbitt (R,C,I-Greenwood Lake) is looking forward to this year’s farmers’ market season throughout Orange and Rockland counties. As energy costs continue to rise, buying local at farmers’ markets not only saves money but provides a fun, seasonal and healthy alternative.
“Farmers’ markets are starting to gain in popularity as communities realize they offer more then just fresh fruits, vegetables, and baked goods. Buying local food also allows you to help your community's economy and helps reduce the environmental costs associated with factory farms and long-distance transportation,” said Rabbitt. “Locally-grown food is fresh and seasonal; the best foods are the ones that don't sit on a shelf waiting for you to eat them. Try venturing out to see which markets offer what you’re looking for and help to keep your community's economy strong by buying locally.”
Farmers’ markets in the 97th Assembly District include:
- Florida Farmers’ Market: Located on routes 17A and 94, the market will be open on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. from June 14th through October 25th. For more information please call 845-641-4482.
- Goshen Farmers’ Market: Located at the Village Square, the market will be open every Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 20th through October 28th. For more information please call 845-294-7741 or visit www.goshennychamber.com.
- Monroe Farmers’ Market: Located at the Museum Village on 1010 Route 17M, the market will be open on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. from June 22nd to October 26th. For more details please call 845-344-1234.
- Suffern Farmers’ Market: Located at commuter parking lot A on Orange Avenue in Suffern, the market will be open on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This market will run from June to October. For further details please call 845-598-1473 or visit www.suffernfarmersmarket.org.
- Tuxedo Farmers’ Market: Located at the Tuxedo Train Station, 240 Route 17, this market will be open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. from mid-June to October. For more details please call 845-915-4058 or visit www.tuxedofarmersmarket.com.
- Warwick Valley Farmers’ Market: Located at the South Street parking lot, the market will be open on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. from mid-May through November. For further information please call 845-987-9990 or visit
To find more farmers’ markets near you, please take a look at either the Orange or Rockland county tourism websites. If you have any questions or need help locating a farmers’ market in your area, please email Assemblywoman Rabbitt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her office in Goshen at 845-291-3631.