Oaks Stands Ready To Partner With Governor Spitzer For Change
In reaction to Governor Spitzer’s State-of-the-State message on Wednesday, Assemblyman Bob Oaks (R,C-Macedon) said, “I stand ready to be a partner with Governor Spitzer to enact many of the initiatives he is proposing for the 2007 legislative session.
Specifically, I strongly agree with Governor Spitzer’s goals to:
- Provide significant property tax relief to homeowners.
- Reform the workers’ compensation system to help improve New York’s competitiveness and create more jobs.
- Pass an Article X power plant siting bill to assure available energy in the future for homeowners and businesses.
- Pass a civil confinement bill to keep the most dangerous sexual predators off the streets after they have completed their prison term.
- Make significant additional reforms to the legislature and state budget process.
These initiatives are all part of an agenda that I have been supporting with my colleagues in the Assembly Minority Conference for a number of years, and I am hopeful that we can make significant progress on each of these key items in 2007.
The legislature needs to immediately focus on the 2007-08 state budget and ensure the budget won’t raise taxes, while holding down the rate of spending.”