It Is Time To Come Together In Support of America’s Veterans
I would like to take this opportunity to share with you a very important opportunity that our community has to support the proud men and women who have so bravely served our country, and the important Veterans Affairs Hospital that we all fought so hard to save.
The Canandaigua VA Hospital needs our help through its voluntary service program, which provides extra services to veterans to make their lives more comfortable. By supporting these programs, you are helping our veterans receive services that are not funded by the government.
The voluntary service program would appreciate and accommodate even the smallest contributions. Below are some examples of how you can support our veterans:
- Direct financial support: This is by far the easiest way to show your generosity. There are many general funds that support veterans programs, including transportation, recreational programs and a birthday fund that provides practical gifts to veterans on their special day. You can choose which fund your donation supports. This is a great way to make a difference. Checks should be made out to VAVS and sent to VA Medical Center, c/o Voluntary Service (135), Canandaigua, NY 14424.
- Material donations: There are many products that our veterans need:
- Toiletries (denture grip/cleaner, skin cream, toothbrushes/toothpaste, combs, deodorant, hand/body lotion, nail clippers, shaving cream/disposable razors)
- Clothing (slipper socks, ball caps, lap robes, white tube socks, underwear)
- Postage stamps
- Writing paper/envelopes
- Gift cards (Wegmans, Wal-Mart, McDonald’s, etc.)
- Paperback books
- Magazines (current issues)
- Puzzle books
- Tickets for entertainment/sporting events
- Decaffeinated coffee, sugar, creamer, stirrers
- Coffee makers
- Prepaid phone cards
- Alarm clocks (battery-operated or electric)
A donation will go such a long way in helping make our veterans’ later years all that more enjoyable. These men and women have sacrificed so much for us. This is a great and easy way to begin repaying a debt that we will never completely satisfy.
If you have any questions, or would like to contribute gifts of money or products, contact the voluntary service department at the hospital at (585) 393-7761.