Violent Video Games Still Uncensored
Kolb Dreads Another Outrageous Video Game to Soon Hit the Market
June 23, 2005
Just when most individuals thought video games had reached all-time lows, the video game industry has done it again. British game maker Eidos later this year plans to release its newest video game, "25-to-Life," that, like many of its violent predecessors, is the next step in the demoralization and desensitization of our newest and youngest generations, according to Assemblyman Brian M. Kolb (R,C-Canandaigua). "Almost unbelievably, ‘25-to-Life’ is far bloodier and more gruesome than last year’s travesty, ‘Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas,’" he said. "This game encourages players to attack police with Molotov cocktails, broken bottles, and even baseball bats. As if that weren’t enough, when weapons fail, players make strategic moves using civilians as human shields." Assemblyman Kolb, who has been at the forefront of fighting for video game regulatory laws, noted, "I’m almost tired of saying I’m outraged over video game violence and the lack of regulation on it, but I am outraged. It seems that every six months the video gaming industry turns out a game that is significantly worse that the one before it. I can’t imagine letting my children play a game like ‘25-to-Life’ when they were young, and I sure can’t imagine that any parent would willingly or knowingly let their children play it now." Earlier this month, the Illinois state Legislature passed a law that, if signed by the governor as anticipated, would ban the sale of violent and sexually explicit video games to minors, a regulation similar to existing limits on violent and sexually explicit music and movies. Though video games are rated using a system monitored by the Entertainment Software Rating Board, the practice is voluntary for game manufacturers, so its effectiveness in warning against the most violent games is lackluster – at best, said Assemblyman Kolb. It’s becoming necessary to restrict the sale of these games, said Assemblyman Kolb, who has been working for more than three years to pass legislation that protects children from the damaging videos. "It is imperative the New York state Legislature act quickly to protect our children from video games like ‘25-to-Life.’ I’ve introduced legislation over the last three years that would enact restrictions on the purchase of these games similar to the legislation in Illinois, and I will continue to introduce it every year until it is passed," said Assemblyman Kolb. "I’m not against video games, but there is a line and the video game industry has crossed it. Now it’s time to make sure we can protect our children."