Assemblyman Joe Giglio (R,C,I-Gowanda) today announced his support of the newly established Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarships, which are designed to increase the number of nurse educators and adjunct clinical faculty members teaching nursing education in New York. Giglio urged eligible residents of the Southern Tier to apply for the scholarships, named in memory of the late state Sen. Patricia K. McGee.
The scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis to applicants who are registered professional nurses enrolling in masterís degree programs which qualify them as nursing faculty or adjunct faculty members.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Be a legal resident of New York for at least one year prior to application
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Be a licensed registered nurse in New York
- Provide proof of acceptance in a masterís degree program for nursing at an accredited nursing school in New York (beginning with the 2008-09 academic year, applicants must be accepted in a masterís program offering a nursing faculty preparation curriculum at an accredited nursing school)
- Complete and return a service agreement in which recipients agree to practice as nursing faculty members in New York for four years after graduation.
The scholarships cover the cost of attendance up to $20,000 annually, or the average SUNY cost of attendance, whichever is less. They are valid for up to three years of study. Application deadline is Oct. 1.
"These scholarships are an important part of the nursing and faculty teaching program in Western New York and the Southern Tier," said Giglio. "Our stateís number of health care professionals is decreasing at an alarming rate, and financial awards such as these will help bring new caring and bright professionals to our hospitals and teaching facilities. I hope those interested in nursing will consider applying for this financial assistance and pursuer careers in nursing education."
For more information, visit www.hesc.com or call the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) at 1-888-697-4372.