Assemblymember Cahill Issues Storm Safety Advisory
December 12, 2008
Thursday’s ice storm has left many homes throughout the Hudson Valley and Catskill region without power. Central Hudson, the State, counties, municipalities and emergency service providers are working diligently to restore service and provide assistance to those impacted by the outages. Despite these ongoing efforts, it is very likely that many homes will remain without power through the weekend. With that in mind, it is important to adhere to the following precautions:
- Do not touch downed power lines. Call your utility and inform them of downed power lines in your neighborhood and that you are without power.
- Do not use candles to light your home. Use a flashlight.
- If you are using a generator for electricity, make sure to run it outside of your home.
- Do not use a natural gas or propane range to heat your home. Never use a grill or stove intended for use outdoors in your home.
- Turn off major appliances and sensitive electronic equipment to prevent overloading and possible damage when power is restored.
- Stay warm and dress in layers if you are without heat.
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible to minimize the loss of perishable food.
- ULSTER COUNTY: The Kerhonkson Fire House on Main Street in Kerhonkson and the SUNY New Paltz Health and Wellness Center
- DUTCHESS COUNTY: Arlington Middle School, and Red Hook High School