Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel Celebrates Earth Day in Albany
April 27, 2007
Great Neck, NY – Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel and the New York State Assembly celebrated Earth Day 2007 by passing a package of bills committed to protecting New York’s air, water and land. “Our Earth Day legislative package is a step in the right direction,” said Assemblywoman Schimel. “These bills address the problem of global warming, encourage energy efficiency, protect New Yorkers from exposure to hazardous materials such as pesticides, and preserve New York’s wetlands.” Some key highlights from the Assembly’s Earth Day legislative package:
- tax credits for multi-unit dwellings that install solar energy systems
- establishment of a Climate Change Task Force
- creation of a Community Preservation Fund for land conservation and historic preservation
- new testing standards for drinking water and
- prohibits open burning of household waste and delivery of recyclable materials to landfills or incinerators.