Assemblyman Pete Lopez (R, C, I – Schoharie) today announced that the New York State Public Library fund has awarded five grants to local libraries throughout the 127th Assembly District. In total, the district is receiving nearly $211,000 for library construction projects.
“Our libraries are such a vital part of our communities – they are a place where we go to learn, to read, use the Internet and spend time with our friends and neighbors,” said Assemblyman Lopez. “It is very important that we continue to support our libraries and I am very pleased that so many libraries in our area have been chosen to receive these grants to expand their facilities and services.”
In total, $14 million in capital funds have been provided for library grants statewide through the 2008-09 Enacted State Budget. The five projects in the 127th Assembly District include:
- Haines Falls Free Library in Tannersville: $100,000 for replacement of roof, doors and windows;
- Harris Memorial Library in Otego: $14,099 for replacement of roof and construction of a front porch;
- Sharon Springs Free Library: $24,743 for replacement of roof;
- Community Library in Cobleskill: $41,948 for replacement of roof; and
- Saugerties Public Library: $30,000 for installation of elevator.
For more information on applying for next year’s Public Library Construction Grants, interested libraries should contact the State Librarian’s Office by visiting www.nysl.nysed.gov.