Assemblyman Pete Lopez (R, C, I – Schoharie) is proud to announce that five libraries within the 127th Assembly District have been chosen to receive construction grants from the New York State Library. In total, $333,150 in grants have been awarded to the following libraries: Saugerties Public Library, Haines Falls Free Library, Sidney Memorial Public Library, Catskill Public Library, and Cairo Public Library.
“These grants are necessary to help our libraries meet the growing needs of our communities, including providing free Internet access, informational programming, and recreational activities,” said Assemblyman Lopez. “Libraries have become much more than a place to borrow books. They are truly a community center for our neighborhoods, especially in more rural areas.”
In the 2010 State Budget, $14 million was appropriated to award construction grants to libraries throughout the state. This funding was held at the same level as the 2009 State Budget. Grants are awarded to help libraries improve their facilities, including construction, renovation, the purchase of new technology, to improve safety, and to make facilities handicapped accessible. This year’s grant awardees in the 127th Assembly District include:
- Saugerties Public Library: Located on Washington Avenue in Saugerties, this library was awarded $33,000 for the creation of new space and energy efficiency improvements.
- Haines Falls Free Library: Located on Main Street in Tannersville, this library was awarded $100,000 for building restorations, disability access, data infrastructure, electrical upgrades, and creation of new meeting space.
- Sidney Memorial Public Library: Located on River Street in Sidney, this library was awarded $9,606 to create a new emergency exit and drive-through book return, as well as various building restorations and energy efficiency improvements.
- Catskill Public Library: Located on Franklin Street in Catskill, this library was awarded $23,000 for energy efficiency improvements and building restorations.
- Cairo Public Library: Located on Main Street in Cairo, this library was awarded $167,544 for the construction of a new library building.
Assemblyman Lopez said, “In these difficult economic times, our libraries have been a trusted source of free and family-friendly recreation and assistance. I am pleased that while we have worked to limit spending in Albany, we are putting taxpayer dollars to good use through these library improvements. These projects truly give back exponentially to the entire community and help improve our quality of life.”