Assemblyman Ramos: Fines For ‘Do Not Call’ Offenders Should Be Increased

April 8, 2004
Assemblyman Philip Ramos (D-Brentwood) announced that he supports new legislation more than doubling fines for violating the "Do Not Call" law from $5,000 to $11,000 (A.10145). The law protects consumers from unwanted telemarketing calls.

"We’re sending a message loud and clear that families do not want their homes invaded by calls from telemarketers," Ramos said. "When someone has made the effort to place their number on the ‘Do Not Call’ registry, they deserve some assurance they will not be called – it’s that simple."

Since the creation of the state registry in 2001, over 3 million households across the state have signed up, and an estimated half-billion unwanted calls have been blocked from New York homes. Last year, New York became one of 15 states to merge the state’s registry with the federal registry – a move that saved taxpayers over $1 million in operating costs. The "Do Not Call" registry is available to personal numbers including cell phones, but not business numbers. Registration lasts five years.

"‘Do Not Call’ means do not call. Creating stiffer penalties for violating New York’s law will better protect Suffolk County families," said Ramos. "Having a telephone line should not be an invitation for endless annoying calls from telemarketers. New York has been a leader in preventing this kind of harassment, and this bill gives some teeth to the protection measures we’ve put in place."

To report a violation, call the New York State Consumer Protection Board at 1-800-697-1220 or visit www.consumer.state.ny.us.