Assemblyman Goldfeder: Tax Credit May Help Hardworking Families Get a Higher Refund This Year
February 6, 2012
Assemblyman Phil Goldfeder (D-Rockaway) is urging eligible families to apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and take advantage of free tax filing services in Southern Queens and Rockaway. The EITC is a refundable tax credit that helps qualifying families lower their federal and state taxes and receive higher refund checks. State and federal EITC refunds can result in a refund well over $7,000. Unfortunately, many New Yorkers who are eligible don’t participate because they aren’t aware of the program or their eligibility, Goldfeder noted. “This tax credit provides cash-strapped families with much-needed help to cover the cost of daily living,” Assemblyman Goldfeder said. “It’s important that we get the word out about all available tax credits because they can provide substantial relief for hardworking families that need it most this tax season. The more families that can be helped by this valuable tax credit the better.” To qualify for the New York State and federal EITC, you must:
- have worked full or part time at some point during the calendar year;
- be a single or married person raising qualifying children at home;
- have income below $36,052 ($41,132 if married) with one child;
- have income below $40,964 ($46,044 if married) with two children;
- have income below $43,998 ($49,078 if married) with three or more children; or
- be a worker between the ages of 25 and 65, earning less than $13,660 ($18,740 if married) with no children.
- be a full-year or part-year resident of New York City;
- claim the federal EITC; and
- file a New York State income tax return.