Assemblyman Brook-Krasny Assemblyman
Alec Brook-Krasny

Tax Forms
Assemblyman Brook-Krasny reminds you to apply for the new Empire State Child Tax Credit

red strip
Claim for Empire State Child Care Credit

Last year, Assemblyman Brook-Krasny helped cut taxes for working families by creating the Empire State Child Tax Credit. Assemblyman Brook-Krasny is reminding parents to apply for the tax credit when filing their state income taxes this year.

New York City residents also benefit from last year’s wide-ranging tax cuts which:

  • Eliminated the state sales tax on clothing and footwear under $110
  • Eliminated the marriage tax penalty
  • Increased the New York City STAR personal income tax credit

Don’t forget the Federal Child Tax Credit!

New York families can also take advantage of the federal tax credit that could reduce your taxes by as much as $1,000 for each qualifying child who was under age 17 at the end of 2006. For more information, visit:

Who can apply for the Empire State Child Tax Credit?
  • You must be a New York State resident for a full year

  • You must claim a federal child tax credit or meet certain income thresholds

  • Your children must have been at least 4 and less than 17 on December 31, 2006

How do you apply? What if you already filed your tax return?
  • Fill out IT-213 and mail the form by itself to:
    State Processing Center
    PO Box 61000
    Albany, NY 12261-0001

Advisory: Many people want their refund quickly. However, Assemblyman Brook-Krasny is urging consumers not to turn to refund anticipation loans (RALs) to receive all or part of their refund a few weeks earlier than expected. RALs are not tax refunds - they are short-term loans against the taxpayers’ anticipated refunds and many tax services charge exorbitant interest rates for them. Tax preparation companies that promote these loans often prey on the poor and convince consumers to borrow against their own money.

If you file electronically, you can receive your refund quickly and not pay interest rates or other fees. For information, visit the Internal Revenue Service site at or the State Department of Taxation and Finance at

2823 West 12th Street, Suite 1F, Brooklyn, NY 11224
718-266-0267 •