Assemblyman José Rivera: Giving back to veterans
The brave men and women who have selflessly risked their lives to protect our country—whether they did so in World War II, Operation Iraqi Freedom, or any time in between—deserve all the help and support we can provide them and their families. That’s why Assemblyman Rivera wants veterans to know about all the benefits and services available to them.
Providing property tax breaks
For those municipalities that offer it, the New York State Veterans’ Property Tax Exemption provides a partial exemption on real property taxes to wartime veterans, veterans who received expeditionary medals or the spouses of qualified veterans. Qualified individuals must present the following as proof of eligibility: An Application for Veterans Exemption from Real Property Taxation (form RP-458) must be filed with your local assessor. Contact James Ryan (Brookhaven) or Ronald Dekhe (Islip) at 631-451-6307 or 631-224-5585 respectively, for more information.
Low-interest mortgage program for veterans
Assemblyman Rivera wants veterans to know about the state’s Homes for Veterans Program, which offers fixed-rate, low-interest mortgages to veterans and their spouses through the State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA). Under the program: For more information, visit or call 1-800-382-HOME(4663).
Assemblyman José Rivera
One Fordham Plaza, Suite 1008
Bronx, NY 10458
Operation Recognition
New York State recognizes the dedication and sacrifice of World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War veterans who left school before graduation by awarding them with a high school diploma. The experiences and skills learned in defense of freedom have given veterans unique knowledge and special insight most could never attain. This diploma reflects our pride and gratitude for their sacrifice and bravery.

To participate, veterans need only present ONE of the following as proof of service: Candidates possessing a High School Equivalency (GED) diploma are also eligible for the program. Diplomas may be awarded to next of kin if eligibility is established.
YES, I wish to receive my high school diploma in recognition of my duty during World War II, theKorean War or the Vietnam War.
Please clip this form and mail it, and a copy of the necessary documentation, to: Assemblyman José Rivera, One Fordham Plaza, Suite 1008, Bronx, NY 10458
Click here for a printer friendly version of this form