Parking Meter

Is Wrong

Assemblyman Michael R. Benedetto

a message from...
Michael R. Benedetto

Dear Motorist:

Dealing with the New York City Department of Finance’s Parking Violations can be confusing and frustrating.

That is one of the reasons the State Legislature passed a law making it easier for motorists to dispute defective parking tickets. As a result of this law, motorists can have a parking ticket dismissed if it is incomplete, illegible, misdescribed or missing information.

Internet access is also available. Motorists can look up a parking ticket, fight a summons, pay a parking violation or request a hearing and submit their defense at the NYC Department of Finance’s Parking Violations’ Web site:

Michael R. Benedetto
Member of Assembly

District Office
3369 E. Tremont Ave.
Bronx, NY 10461

Albany Office
Room 602, Legislative Office Building
Albany, New York 12248


Your Defense to
Parking Tickets
The Department of Finance does not issue parking tickets. Finance’s job is to make sure that the agencies responsible for issuing tickets did so correctly or hear your explanation of why a ticket should not have been issued.

The following information can help you decide if you should challenge your ticket or not. State law requires a parking ticket be dismissed if it is incomplete, illegible, misdescribed or missing information. When conducting a hearing, the Department of Finance will review recently issued summonses for these defects and if any exist, the ticket will be dismissed.

General Defenses: Using these defenses does not guarantee a dismissal of any violation.

Paying the
Parking Ticket

You can pay your parking ticket in several ways:

Consequences of
Failing to Respond

Failing to respond to the first and second notice of violation may subject you to the suspension and non-renewal of the owner’s registration, additional penalties, and a default judgment.


If you plead “not guilty” and Parking Violations renders a “guilty” verdict, you may appeal it to Parking Violations Appeals Board within 30 days of the decision. To file an appeal, you should serve a notice of appeal on the PVO in writing, either personally or by certified or registered mail, within 30 days of the entry of the final determination. The notice of appeal must state the reasons why the final determination should be reversed or modified.

Filing a notice of appeal does not necessarily stop enforcement of the final determination and you may still have to pay the fine. However, the Appeals Board could direct a stay or you could post a bond in the full amount on or before filing the notice of appeal.

Requesting a Hearing-By-Mail

Evidence can include, but is not limited to: testimony, photos, repair bills, police reports, DMV or insurance company reports and towing bills. Keep copies of everything that you send to the Department of Finance for your records.

The Summons

When you receive a summons for a parking violation, the ticket instructs you how to respond. You have three options:

  1. Plead Guilty (admitting liability to the charges) and pay the fine

  2. request a hearing and accept a settlement offer of a fine reduction

  3. Plead Not Guilty and request a hearing

Whichever option you choose, you should photocopy the original summons (front and back) and any supporting documentation or payments made. The City is required to send a second notice of violation if you fail to respond within 30 days of the issuance of the first summons. You have 28-30 days from the date of issuance of the second notice to respond.

Parking Violations
New York City, Dept. of Finance, Parking Violations
210 Joralemon St., 6th Fl.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Helpline: (212) 504-4041 or 311

Borough Help Centers’ office hours:
(8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday)
Bronx: 3030 Third Avenue - 2nd Fl.
Brooklyn: 210 Joralemon Street - 1st Fl.
Queens: 144-06 94th Avenue - 1st Fl.
Staten Island: 350 St. Marks Place - 1st Fl.
Manhattan: 66 John Street - 2nd Fl.

To respond by mail:
NYC Dept. of Finance, Hearings-by-Mail Unit
P.O. Box 29021, Cadman Plaza Station,
Brooklyn, NY 11202-9021

Internet Access:

Appeals Board Address:
NYC, Dept. of Finance, Adjudication Div.
66 John St., 3rd Floor
Manhattan, NY 10038