Protecting our families from gun violence, I have successfully worked to win passage of common sense legislation that will reduce the number of guns in the hands of dangerous people, Assemblywoman Latoya Joyner (D-Bronx, 77th AD) said. This legislation will improve public safety and reduce the number of tragedies resulting from gun violence in our state.
The commons sense gun legislation will protect our families by:
- Creating a Municipal Gun Buyback Program run by the state police that would get illegal guns off the streets and out of our community
- Allowing a court to prohibit a person who is determined to be a threat to themselves or others from possessing a gun for up to one year (Red Flag Bill)
- Outlawing the sale of bump stocks and similar devices that are used to convert normal firearms into the type of machine guns that have been used in mass shootings
- Protecting our kids by keeping guns out of our schools by prohibiting school employees from carrying a gun on school grounds
- Establishing a 30-day waiting period for people seeking to purchase a gun before clearing a background check