Montesano: Time Is Running Out On Appliance Rebate Program
February 25, 2011
Assemblyman Michael A. Montesano (R,I,C-Glen Head) is urging New Yorkers to take advantage of nearly $1 million of rebates left as part of NYSERDA’s “New York’s Great Appliance Swap Out” program. The program offers rebates to New York State residents replacing old appliances with ENERGY STAR® products. Qualifying appliances include clothes washers, freezers, refrigerators, and dishwashers (in qualifying circumstances). “Rebate programs are important for shifting people’s purchasing behavior to more energy efficient appliances,” said Montesano. “Long-term, these high-efficiency appliances will save consumers money to reduce their energy consumption, while preserving their budgets along with the environment. I am excited that programs like this are being offered to consumers, giving them options to lower their utility bills.” NYSERDA has requirements and rebate limits pertaining to various appliances and energy efficiency standards. Customers purchasing appliances may receive the following individual rebates:
- Refrigerators: $75 ($105 with documented recycling)
- Clothes washers: $75 ($100 with documented recycling)
- Freezers: $50 ($75 with documented recycling)
- Dishwashers: Rebates are only available for dishwashers when purchased as part of a three appliance package of CEE (Consortium for Energy Efficiency) rated appliances. This bundled purchase will qualify for a $500 rebate ($555 with documented recycling).
- Individual purchases: Appliances must have the ENERGY STAR® label, meaning that they are up to 30 percent more efficient than standard models on the market.
- Bundled purchases: A larger rebate will be paid to consumers purchasing three appliances that meet CEE standards. This can include a dishwasher, clothes washer, and refrigerator.