Assemblywoman Amy Paulin Reports on Her 2011 Legislative Accomplishments
October 24, 2011
Assemblywoman Paulin (D-88) reports that the 2011 legislative session was for her one of the most successful. Paulinís commitment to good government led her to work again this session in a bipartisan and professional manner which proved to be a winning result for her constituents. According to a government watchdog organization, Paulin ranked fourth out of 150 in the number of her bills that passed both the State Assembly and State Senate. To date, Governor Cuomo has signed thirteen of her bills into law. Recognized for her leadership and effectiveness in passing substantive legislation, this year Paulin was named Chair of the Assemblyís Committee on Children and Families. Paulinís 2011 bills reflect her new leadership role, her dedication to good government, and her advocacy for students, seniors, and vulnerable populations. Some of Paulinís bills that were signed into law this session include: Adult Protective Services Record Sharing The horrific death earlier this year of 23-year old Laura Cummings, a mentally disabled woman who was held captive, tortured and brutalized by her own mother and half-brother, brought to light the tragic consequences that can occur when one state agency lacks access to critical information possessed by another state agency. Paulinís law (Ch. 440 of 2011) will give adult protective services access to child protective services records to better enable them to determine whether a person is in need of adult protective services. SUNY Purchase Assemblywoman Paulin succeeded in having signed into law (Ch. 405 of 2011) legislation that allows the State University of New York at Purchase to lease unused land on its campus to create a senior learning community. As many as 385 units may be constructed and 20% of the units will be designated affordable housing. Westchester County residents will be given priority for half of those units. 75% of the revenues generated by the lease will fund financial aid to qualified students while the remaining 25% will support the addition of full-time faculty positions at the university. Early Intervention Paulinís bill enacted into law (Ch. 406 of 2011) gives counties a measure of critically needed mandate relief. Although state law requires commercial health insurers to contribute to the cost of early intervention services provided to children covered under their policies, private insurers pay only 2% of costs of the $654 million early intervention program. The failure by insurers to pay their share of the costs of early intervention services has placed an increasingly undue burden on municipalities. With this new law, municipalities will be better equipped to improve efficiencies in seeking reimbursement from insurers. Immunizations Paulin wrote a new law (Ch. 316 of 2011) that extends the law she authored that allows licensed pharmacists to administer flu and pneumonia shots to adults. Without this extension, adults would not be able to obtain flu and pneumonia shots in pharmacies or at other community facilities. Prior to the law, between 5,000 and 7,500 New Yorkers died annually from these diseases, and more than 75,000 treated in hospitals for flu-like symptoms. With the law, more than one million shots were administered in the past year. By allowing pharmacists to administer these vaccinations, the State will make healthcare more accessible to all New Yorkers and be better able to respond to a future flu pandemic. For more information on these new laws or on any legislative questions, call Assemblywoman Paulinís local office at (914) 723-1115.