Assemblyman Ramos: Governor Jeopardizes 400 Suffolk Summer Jobs for Low-Income Youths

Leaves 10 non-profits without valuable summer employees
June 25, 2003
Assemblyman Philip Ramos (D-Central Islip) today blasted the governor for reneging on a promise to release $25 million in federal funds earmarked for summer youth employment programs across New York State. The money was part of the Legislature’s bipartisan budget approved last month, and is money the governor did not include in his own budget.

“These programs don’t just provide a paycheck — they open doors for young men and women by teaching them vital skills,” Ramos said. “How many wrong choices is it actually going to take for the governor to realize that by closing doors in the faces of innocent children, he’s closing the door to a brighter future for New York?”

Ramos also noted that this important funding would have provided teens with the chance to learn responsibility, teamwork, and appropriate work conduct — while also allowing them to contribute to their family, community, and local economy.

In 2002, Suffolk County received $786,875 in funding for Summer Youth Employment Programs which helped them provide 450 jobs – without this crucial funding, the youth jobs program will be eliminated.

“The governor made a promise, and by not providing this vital funding he’s leaving many children to sit idle in the streets and miss out on experiencing the value of hard work,” Ramos said. “Our children deserve more, and I will continue fighting to ensure that our families do not have to suffer because of the governor’s wrongdoings.”