Millman Encourages Constituents to File a Federal Tax Return to Receive Economic Stimulus Check

March 20, 2008
Brooklyn – Assemblywoman Joan Millman is spreading the word that constituents must file a 2007 federal tax return in order to receive a check as part of the federal government’s economic stimulus package.

Intended to stimulate the faltering national economy, the economic stimulus payments will be available to over 130 million households nationwide beginning in May 2008. Eligible individuals can receive up to $600 and married couples can receive up to $1,200 if filing a joint return.

However, individuals will not receive the economic stimulus check if they do not file a 2007 federal tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Even though they are usually exempt, social security recipients, railroad retirees, veteran’s benefit recipients and low-income individuals must file a return this year.

For further information about receiving the economic stimulus check, please visit IRS Economic Stimulus Payments Information Center at,,id=177937,00.html or contact the Brooklyn IRS office, located at 625 Fulton Street, at (718)488-2068. For assistance in filing taxes and other IRS-related matters, the Brooklyn Taxpayer Advocate may be reached at (718)488-2080.

“Many New York families are facing added hardships due to the recent downturn in the economy,” stated Millman. “I want to make sure that all those eligible for this payment receive it. Even if you don’t usually have to file a tax return, please do it this year. It’s a small task with a rewarding result.”