Millman: New Identification Needed For Cross-Border Travel Starting June 1

February 19, 2009
Brooklyn – Assemblywoman Joan Millman would like to remind all New Yorkers that beginning June 1, 2009, extra identification will be necessary for travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A change in federal law requires U.S. citizens to present a valid passport or other approved document, such as an enhanced driver license or ID card (EDL), to enter the U.S. at all land and sea border crossings.

“Many residents of the 52nd Assembly District are avid travelers and I want to make sure they are aware of this new regulation,” said Millman. “For those who wish to continue using a passport, they may. However, the new EDL is a much more efficient document to use when traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.”

New Yorkers may apply for an EDL at any New York State Department of Motor Vehicles office that processes driver license transactions. The enhanced version costs an additional $30 and can be issued either when current identification expires, or as an early renewal. To apply, citizens must provide a Social Security card, proof of identity, proof of U.S. citizenship and New York State residency. The EDL differs from an ordinary driver license because it contains a radio frequency identification tag. For more information, please visit