Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz has requested better results with snow removal in high trafficked areas in the community and more traffic enforcement agents at the West 239th Street and Henry Hudson Parkway overpass.
In letters to both Department of Sanitation’s Bronx Commissioner Philip Marino and Department of Transportation’s Bronx Commissioner Joseph Palmieri, Assemblyman Dinowitz stated, “Every winter, my office receives the same complaints about snow removal at the same locations, as I mentioned to you at our recent meeting. With this first snow last week, my office received complaints about the same locations regarding snow removal.
“There are many seniors living in my district who travel regularly throughout the community. Furthermore, there are a large number of people who walk to and from Synagogue on Saturdays. Snow removal is therefore crucial in areas where people walk, including sidewalks and overpasses, and in areas particularly where people get on and off buses.
“I would like to point out one particularly problematic location: the overpass at West 239th Street. There is on-going construction there, making traffic congested. With the recent snow, the heavy traffic became an even greater problem. In addition, snow was not removed from areas where people walk: at the bus stops on both the east and west side of Henry Hudson Parkway and the overpass.”
Additionally, due to the heavy construction and traffic at West 239th Street, Assemblyman Dinowitz also requested more traffic enforcement agents at West 239th Street. The ice and snow make it hard enough get around, but the combination of poor weather with the construction work being done makes the area extremely hazardous for those pedestrians attempting to cross the overpass. The danger is made even worse because snow and ice have remained there for days. Having more traffic enforcement agents would help with safety of people walking and it would assist with maintaining the traffic flow.
Assemblyman Dinowitz provided in the letters the following problem areas regarding snow removal.
- Henry Hudson Parkway Overpass, West 232nd Street
- Henry Hudson Parkway Overpass, West 239th Street
- Henry Hudson Parkway Overpass, West 242nd Street
- Henry Hudson Parkway Overpass, West 246th Street
- Henry Hudson Parkway Overpass, West 252nd Street
- Bus Stop: Riverdale Ave (Southbound) and West 256th Street
- Bus Stop: Henry Hudson Parkway West Service Road and West 246th Street
- Bus Stop: Henry Hudson Parkway West Service Road West and West 239th Street
- Bus Stop: Henry Hudson Parkway East Service Road East and West 246th Street
- Bus Stop: Henry Hudson Parkway East Service Road East and West 239th Street
- Foot Bridge: Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road at West 235th