Hurricane Sandy Update

November 8, 2012
Information on Power Restoration

There has been wide-spread confusion about electrical inspections and restoration of power, as LIPA has designated certain areas as flood zones. Structures in those zones (see below) will require an electrical systems inspection before LIPA will restore power.

The areas requiring inspections are all buildings south of Merrick Road and east of the Meadowbrook Parkway and all buildings south of Atlantic Avenue and west of the Meadowbrook Parkway. This includes:

Baldwin, Baldwin Harbor, Cedarhurst, Barnum Island, East Rockaway, Newlett, Hewlett Bay Park, Hewlett Harbor, Hewlett Neck, Inwood, Island Park, Lawrence, Lido Beach, Long Beach, Lynbrook, Merrick, Oceanside, Point Lookout, Seaford, South Valley Stream, Valley Stream, Wantagh, Woodmere and Woodsburgh. According to LIPA, some other flooded communities may require inspection, as well.

Nassau County has retained Empire Electrical Inspectors of New York to provide free inspections of all buildings in the designated zones. Because the inspections are being performed from the outside of the building, you do NOT need to be home in order to have this inspection.

Empire Electric is now performing door-to-door inspections. If there is no damage found, Empire Electric will notify LIPA. If damage is identified, the owner of the building will need to hire an electrician to make repairs. When those repairs are completed, the electrician will have an inspector issue a certificate of inspection, which can be faxed to LIPA at 631-844-3643.

For further information, LIPA’s contact number is 800 490-0075.

Updated FEMA Information

In addition to electrical inspections described above, FEMA is also conducting inspections. Below is the most recent information I have received from FEMA about that process. If you have further questions about the following information, FEMA may be reached at 1-800-621-3362:

Residents awaiting inspectors sent by the Federal Emergency Management Agency can begin their cleanup process and remove trash prior to the arrival of FEMA inspectors. If you do not have insurance to cover your disaster-related damages, an inspection performed by a FEMA inspector is required to process your application.

Preparing for a FEMA home inspection includes removing as much trash from inside and out of a residence as is physically possible; it facilitates the process. Trash can be removed before your insurance company visits the property. Prior to disposing of damaged property, take an inventory of it and/or photographers. Your municipality can provide information on their scheduled trash removal.

Upon arrival the inspector will request proof of residency. The address on the documents or identification must match the residence that was damaged. The following are accepted forms for proof of residency:

  • Owners: Proof of ownership (your deed, tax records, mortgage payment book, or a copy of your dwelling’s insurance policy for the address, showing you as the owner)
  • Owners and renters: Proof of occupancy (your driver’s license address, any first-class government mail sent to you within the last three months at that address, or recent utility bills in your name at that address) and insurance policies.
  • Renters only: Lease agreement.

After registering, applicants will receive a pamphlet in the mail, entitled, “Help After A Disaster, An Applicant’s Guide to the Individuals and Households Program.” This pamphlet should answer most questions and provide information about other programs that may be able to assist in recovery efforts. For complete information about the inspection process, go to and search for “Inspection Process.”