STAR Exemption

If you've recently bought your home or you've never applied for the STAR benefit on your current home, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year. You only need to register for the STAR credit once, and you'll continue to receive the annual benefit as long as you're eligible.

New STAR applicants will receive a credit in the form of a check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption. New Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants need to register with the New York State Tax Department to receive a STAR check. Visit or call (518) 457-2036.

Register by July 1st to receive your STAR check in September. If you register after July 1st, you will receive your check at a later date.

Basic STAR Application:

  1. available for owner-occupied, primary residences where the resident owners' and their spouses' income is less than $500,000
  2. based on the first $30,000 of the full value of a home

Enhanced STAR

  1. New Application:
    • provides an increased benefit for the primary residences of senior citizens (age 65 and older) with qualifying incomes ($86,000 or less for the 2018-2019 school year)
    • based on the first $66,800 of the full value of a home (for the 2018-2019 school year)
  2. Renewal Application
    • to be filed with your local assessor by taxable status date
    • do NOT file this form with the Office of Real Property Tax Services

Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program:

  1. senior citizens applying for the Enhanced Star exemption must show that the combined income of all the owners of the property, and of any owner's spouse who resides on the premises, is now greater than the income standard for the applicable income tax year.

STAR Eligibility

The eligibility criteria are the same for both the STAR credit and the STAR property tax exemption. You can't receive both the credit and the exemption.

Types of property

  • houses, condominiums, cooperative apartments, manufactured homes, and farm houses
  • mixed-use properties, including apartment buildings (but only the owner-occupied portion)